It was a special year this year for the Yamaha SR500, which has been around now for 40 years, and also it was the SR500 Club’s 20th anniversary! The Rally was very successful again this year, despite the weather on Friday! There was very heavy rain in Melbourne on Friday morning which discouraged a lot of riders from leaving until later in the day. By mid-afternoon, it was very quiet in Bethanga, but as the weekend progressed, more and more people turned up (around 120 people registered) and the weather improved.
Show ‘n’ Shine
At Saturday’s Show ‘n’ Shine, there were eight award categories. Congratulations to the following winners!
- Best stock SR – Wendy & Mathew Rode (and their 1984 SR500, again!)
- Best modified SR – Steven Findlay (again!)
- Best XT/TT 500 – Brendan Van de Zand
- Best 4 valve (XT/TT/SZR/SRX 600/660) – Scott Wells (SR600 Special)
- Best non-SR – Chris Rowley (Honda CB77 Super Hawk)
- Peoples’ choice – Shane Bailey (Kawasaki Z1R Mk2)
- Best rat bike – Brett Martello (very tasty XT500 Special!)
- Longest distance – Bill McInerney (900km from Christies Beach, SA)
Saturday night raffle
A number of companies kindly donated items for Saturday night’s raffle, resulting in many lucky people winning some great prizes!
A big “thank you” to everyone who donated prizes:
- Andy Strapz, Seaford (VIC)
- Deus ex Machina, Camperdown (NSW)
- IKON Suspension, North Albury (NSW)
- Yamaha Australia
- Court House Hotel, Bethanga (VIC)
- KEDO Parts Australia, Raymond Terrace (NSW)
- Motorcycle Trader magazine, Oakleigh (VIC)
Saturday night entertainment
Big thanks to Salty Dog Blues for a great set on Saturday night!
Annual General Meeting
At Sunday’s AGM, nominations for the Committee were heard, and the following elections were made:
- President: Jeff Gillman
- Vice Presidents: Paul Newbold, Craig Lemon
- Secretary: Mike Haysom
- Ride Captain: Tony Jones
- Treasurer: Mike Cowie
Congratulations to Jeff Gillman (President again), Paul Newbold and Craig Lemon (joint Vice Presidents), and a warm welcome to Mike Haysom who takes over as Secretary from Tony Jones, who stepped down after serving for 5 years. Thanks Tony you did a great job, and we are glad to have you in your new position as Ride Captain! Mike Cowie continues as Treasurer.