CLUB PERMIT SCHEME REGULATIONS FOR VICTORIA
Revised Club Permit Scheme regulations for Victoria came into effect from 31 January 2015.
Eligible motorcycles must be >25 years old. Only motorcycles manufactured prior to 1947 are exempt from the RWC requirement (more on that below).
- Get a Roadworthy Certificate (RWC), which may be a long and costly process, but it is necessary, and is the biggest change with the revised regulations.
- Get a VASS Approval Certificate if the vehicle has never been registered in Australia (e.g. is a grey import), or is modified. There is a list of businesses which offer the VASS service on the VicRoads website. It’s all about bringing your bike up to ADR requirements.
- Ask the Club Secretary, Mike Cowie, to confirm to one of the Club Scrutineers (Derek Pickard or Grant Roff) that you are currently a financial member.
- Make an appointment to take your motorcycle along to either Derek Pickard or Grant Roff who have to verify that the motorcycle is indeed the one described on the application. Derek or Grant will also take the necessary 6 photographs of the motorbike: front, back, left side, right side, VIN and engine number.
- Two forms have to be completed. The application is countersigned by Mike, and ‘eligibility signed’ by Derek or Grant, who keep a stock of pre-signed forms for members’ convenience.
- Visit one of the VicRoads offices which issue red plates, taking those forms, and proof of ownership (receipt, etc).
- Advise Derek or Grant of your new red plate number within 24 hours.
You are then all set to go, but remember, your log book must be filled in daily, prior to each trip. The penalty for riding a red-plated motorcycle without filling in your log book is the same as for riding an unregistered vehicle, i.e. $800 and 3 demerit points (the only exception is riding it within 100 mtrs of your home address, for ‘testing’ purposes).
Remember, your motorcycle cannot be sold with a red plate still attached, as being just a permit, it is for the one club member and one motorcycle.
When you receive your renewal form from VicRoads, ask the Club Secretary, Mike Cowie, or any of the other approved officials (see contact details below), to sign the form to declare that you are a current member of the Club (you must be a financial member!).
|Derek Pickard||Club member||0419 388 075|
|Grant Roff||Club member||0424 827 679|
|Approved officials - for signing of renewal forms|
|Jeff Gillman||President||0400 187 065|
|Paul Newbold||Vice President||0413 019 657|
|Craig Lemon||Vice President||0404 453 167|
|Mike Cowie||Treasurer||0400 879 994|
|Tony Jones||Secretary||0419 150 669|
|Andy Hunt||Club member||0418 361 810|